Sec. 545.454. AUTOMATED MOTOR VEHICLE OPERATION. (a) An automated motor vehicle may operate in this state with the automated driving system engaged, regardless of whether a human operator is physically present in the vehicle.
(b) An automated motor vehicle may not operate on a highway in this state with the automated driving system engaged unless the vehicle is:
(1) capable of operating in compliance with applicable traffic and motor vehicle laws of this state, subject to this subchapter;
(2) equipped with a recording device, as defined by Section 547.615(a), installed by the manufacturer of the automated motor vehicle or automated driving system;
(3) equipped with an automated driving system in compliance with applicable federal law and federal motor vehicle safety standards;
(4) registered and titled in accordance with the laws of this state; and
(5) covered by motor vehicle liability coverage or self-insurance in an amount equal to the amount of coverage that is required under the laws of this state.
Added by Acts 2017, 85th Leg., R.S., Ch. 973 (S.B. 2205), Sec. 1, eff. September 1, 2017.