Sec. 545.451. DEFINITIONS. In this subchapter:
(1) "Automated driving system" means hardware and software that, when installed on a motor vehicle and engaged, are collectively capable of performing, without any intervention or supervision by a human operator:
(A) all aspects of the entire dynamic driving task for the vehicle on a sustained basis; and
(B) any fallback maneuvers necessary to respond to a failure of the system.
(2) "Automated motor vehicle" means a motor vehicle on which an automated driving system is installed.
(3) "Entire dynamic driving task" means the operational and tactical aspects of operating a vehicle. The term:
(i) operational aspects, including steering, braking, accelerating, and monitoring the vehicle and the roadway; and
(ii) tactical aspects, including responding to events, determining when to change lanes, turning, using signals, and other related actions; and
(B) does not include strategic aspects, including determining destinations or waypoints.
(4) "Human operator" means a natural person in an automated motor vehicle who controls the entire dynamic driving task.
(5) "Owner" has the meaning assigned by Section 502.001.
Added by Acts 2017, 85th Leg., R.S., Ch. 973 (S.B. 2205), Sec. 1, eff. September 1, 2017.