Sec. 545.157. PASSING CERTAIN VEHICLES. (a) This section applies only to the following vehicles:
(1) a stationary authorized emergency vehicle using visual signals that meet the requirements of Sections 547.305 and 547.702;
(2) a stationary tow truck using equipment authorized by Section 547.305(d); and
(3) a Texas Department of Transportation vehicle not separated from the roadway by a traffic control channelizing device and using visual signals that comply with the standards and specifications adopted under Section 547.105.
(b) On approaching a vehicle described by Subsection (a), an operator, unless otherwise directed by a police officer, shall:
(1) vacate the lane closest to the vehicle when driving on a highway with two or more lanes traveling in the direction of the vehicle; or
(2) slow to a speed not to exceed:
(A) 20 miles per hour less than the posted speed limit when the posted speed limit is 25 miles per hour or more; or
(B) five miles per hour when the posted speed limit is less than 25 miles per hour.
(c) A violation of this section is:
(1) a misdemeanor punishable under Section 542.401;
(2) a misdemeanor punishable by a fine of $500 if the violation results in property damage; or
(3) a Class B misdemeanor if the violation results in bodily injury.
(d) If conduct constituting an offense under this section also constitutes an offense under another section of this code or the Penal Code, the actor may be prosecuted under either section or under both sections.
(e) In this section:
(1) "Tow truck" means a vehicle that:
(A) has been issued a permit under Subchapter C, Chapter 2308, Occupations Code; and
(B) is operated by a person licensed under Subchapter D, Chapter 2308, Occupations Code.
(2) "Traffic control channelizing device" means equipment used to warn and alert drivers of conditions created by work activities in or near the traveled way, to protect workers in a temporary traffic control zone, and to guide drivers and pedestrians safely. The term includes a traffic cone, tubular marker, vertical panel, drum, barricade, temporary raised island, concrete or cable barrier, guardrail, or channelizer.
Added by Acts 2003, 78th Leg., ch. 327, Sec. 2, eff. Sept. 1, 2003.
Acts 2011, 82nd Leg., R.S., Ch. 229 (H.B. 378), Sec. 1, eff. September 1, 2011.
Acts 2013, 83rd Leg., R.S., Ch. 6 (S.B. 510), Sec. 1, eff. September 1, 2013.
SUBCHAPTER E. STREETCARS