Sec. 502.433. FEE: COMMERCIAL FARM MOTOR VEHICLE. (a) The registration fee for a commercial motor vehicle as a farm vehicle is 50 percent of the applicable fee under Section 502.252 or 502.253, as applicable, if the vehicle's owner will use the vehicle for commercial purposes only to transport:
(1) the person's own poultry, dairy, livestock, livestock products, timber in its natural state, or farm products to market or another place for sale or processing;
(2) laborers from their place of residence to the owner's farm or ranch; or
(3) without charge, materials, tools, equipment, or supplies from the place of purchase or storage to the owner's farm or ranch exclusively for the owner's use or for use on the farm or ranch.
(a-1) A commercial motor vehicle registration may not be issued or renewed under this section unless the vehicle's owner provides a registration number issued by the comptroller under Section 151.1551, Tax Code. The comptroller shall allow access to the online system established under Section 151.1551(l), Tax Code, to verify a registration number provided under this subsection.
(b) A commercial motor vehicle may be registered under this section despite its use for transporting without charge the owner or a member of the owner's family:
(1) to attend church or school;
(2) to visit a doctor for medical treatment or supplies;
(3) for other necessities of the home or family; or
(4) for the purpose of participating in equine activities or attending livestock shows, as defined by Section 87.001, Civil Practice and Remedies Code.
(c) Subsection (b) does not permit the use of a vehicle registered under this section in connection with gainful employment other than farming or ranching.
(d) The department shall provide distinguishing license plates for a vehicle registered under this section.
Transferred, redesignated and amended from Transportation Code, Section 502.163 by Acts 2011, 82nd Leg., R.S., Ch. 1296 (H.B. 2357), Sec. 143, eff. January 1, 2012.
Acts 2013, 83rd Leg., R.S., Ch. 1068 (H.B. 3256), Sec. 2, eff. September 1, 2013.
Acts 2013, 83rd Leg., R.S., Ch. 1135 (H.B. 2741), Sec. 72, eff. September 1, 2013.
Acts 2017, 85th Leg., R.S., Ch. 968 (S.B. 2075), Sec. 11, eff. September 1, 2017.