Sec. 502.255. TRUCK-TRACTOR OR COMMERCIAL MOTOR VEHICLE COMBINATION FEE; SEMITRAILER TOKEN FEE. (a) This section applies only to a truck-tractor or commercial motor vehicle with a gross weight of more than 10,000 pounds that is used or is to be used in combination with a semitrailer that has a gross weight of more than 6,000 pounds.
(b) The fee for a registration year for registration of a truck-tractor or commercial motor vehicle is calculated by gross weight according to Section 502.253.
(c) The fee for registration of a semitrailer used in the manner described by Subsection (a), regardless of the date the semitrailer is registered, is $15 for a registration year.
(d) A registration made under Subsection (c) is valid only when the semitrailer is used in the manner described by Subsection (a).
(e) For registration purposes, a semitrailer converted to a trailer by means of an auxiliary axle assembly retains its status as a semitrailer.
(f) A combination of vehicles may not be registered under this section for a combined gross weight of less than 18,000 pounds.
(g) This section does not apply to:
(1) a combination of vehicles that includes a vehicle that has a distinguishing license plate under Section 502.146;
(2) a truck-tractor or commercial motor vehicle registered or to be registered with $5 distinguishing license plates for which the vehicle is eligible under this chapter;
(3) a truck-tractor or commercial motor vehicle used exclusively in combination with a semitrailer of the travel trailer type; or
(4) a vehicle registered or to be registered:
(A) with a temporary registration permit;
(B) under Section 502.433; or
(C) under Section 502.435.
(h) The department may adopt rules to administer this section.
(i) The department shall issue a license plate for a token trailer registered under this section that does not expire or require an annual registration insignia to be valid. The alphanumeric pattern for a license plate issued under this subsection may remain on a token trailer for as long as the registration of the token trailer is renewed or until the token trailer is removed from service or sold. The registration receipt required under Section 621.002 is not required for a vehicle that displays a license plate issued under this subsection.
(j) A person may register a semitrailer under this section if the person:
(1) applies to the department for registration;
(2) provides proof of the person's eligibility to register the vehicle under this subsection as required by the department; and
(3) pays a fee of $15, plus any applicable fee under Section 502.401, for each year included in the registration period.
Transferred, redesignated and amended from Transportation Code, Section 502.167 by Acts 2011, 82nd Leg., R.S., Ch. 1296 (H.B. 2357), Sec. 127, eff. January 1, 2012.
Acts 2013, 83rd Leg., R.S., Ch. 252 (H.B. 511), Sec. 2, eff. June 14, 2013.