Sec. 502.146. CERTAIN FARM VEHICLES AND DRILLING AND CONSTRUCTION EQUIPMENT. (a) The department shall issue distinguishing license plates to a vehicle described by Subsection (b) or (c). The fee for the license plates is $5 and shall be deposited to the credit of the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles fund.
(b) An owner is not required to register a vehicle that is used only temporarily on the highways if the vehicle is:
(1) a farm trailer or farm semitrailer with a gross weight of more than 4,000 pounds but not more than 34,000 pounds that is used exclusively:
(A) to transport seasonally harvested agricultural products or livestock from the place of production to the place of processing, market, or storage;
(B) to transport farm supplies from the place of loading to the farm; or
(C) for the purpose of participating in equine activities or attending livestock shows, as defined by Section 87.001, Civil Practice and Remedies Code;
(2) machinery used exclusively for the purpose of drilling water wells;
(3) oil well servicing or drilling machinery and if at the time of obtaining the license plates, the applicant submits proof that the applicant has a permit under Section 623.142; or
(4) construction machinery.
(c) An owner is not required to register a vehicle that is:
(1) a farm trailer or farm semitrailer owned by a cotton gin and used exclusively to transport agricultural products without charge from the place of production to the place of processing, market, or storage;
(2) a trailer used exclusively to transport fertilizer without charge from a place of supply or storage to a farm; or
(3) a trailer used exclusively to transport cottonseed without charge from a place of supply or storage to a farm or place of processing.
(c-1) An exemption provided by this section applies to a vehicle owned by a farmers' cooperative society incorporated under Chapter 51, Agriculture Code, or a marketing association organized under Chapter 52, Agriculture Code, and used by members of the society or association for a fee if the vehicle otherwise meets the requirements for the exemption.
(d) A vehicle described by Subsection (b) is exempt from the inspection requirements of Subchapters B and F, Chapter 548.
(e) Except as provided by Subsection (c-1), this section does not apply to a farm trailer or farm semitrailer that:
(1) is used for hire;
(2) has metal tires operating in contact with the highway;
(3) is not equipped with an adequate hitch pinned or locked so that it will remain securely engaged to the towing vehicle while in motion; or
(4) is not operated and equipped in compliance with all other law.
(f) A vehicle to which this section applies that is operated on a public highway in violation of this section is considered to be operated while unregistered and is immediately subject to the applicable registration fees and penalties prescribed by this chapter.
(g) In this section, the gross weight of a trailer or semitrailer is the combined weight of the vehicle and the load carried on the highway.
(h) A distinguishing license plate may not be issued or renewed under Subsection (a) to an owner of a vehicle described by Subsection (b)(1) unless the vehicle's owner provides a registration number issued by the comptroller under Section 151.1551, Tax Code, or the vehicle is owned by a farmers' cooperative society incorporated under Chapter 51, Agriculture Code, or a marketing association organized under Chapter 52, Agriculture Code. The comptroller shall allow access to the online system established under Section 151.1551(l), Tax Code, to verify a registration number provided under this subsection.
Transferred, redesignated and amended from Transportation Code, Section 504.504 by Acts 2011, 82nd Leg., R.S., Ch. 1296 (H.B. 2357), Sec. 105, eff. January 1, 2012.
Acts 2013, 83rd Leg., R.S., Ch. 1068 (H.B. 3256), Sec. 1, eff. September 1, 2013.
Acts 2013, 83rd Leg., R.S., Ch. 1287 (H.B. 2202), Sec. 17, eff. September 1, 2013.
Acts 2015, 84th Leg., R.S., Ch. 143 (H.B. 75), Sec. 1, eff. May 28, 2015.
Acts 2017, 85th Leg., R.S., Ch. 968 (S.B. 2075), Sec. 8, eff. September 1, 2017.