Sec. 502.093. ANNUAL PERMITS. (a) The department may issue an annual permit in lieu of registration to a foreign commercial motor vehicle, trailer, or semitrailer that is subject to registration in this state and is not authorized to travel on a public highway because of the lack of registration in this state or the lack of reciprocity with the state or country in which the vehicle is registered.
(b) A permit issued under this section is valid for a vehicle registration year to begin on the first day of a calendar month designated by the department and end on the last day of the last calendar month of the registration year.
(c) A permit may not be issued under this section for the importation of citrus fruit into this state from a foreign country except for foreign export or processing for foreign export.
(d) A person may obtain a permit under this section by:
(1) applying in the manner prescribed by the department;
(2) paying a fee in the amount required by Subsection (e) in the manner prescribed by the department, including a service charge for a credit card payment or escrow account; and
(3) furnishing evidence of financial responsibility for the motor vehicle that complies with Sections 502.046(c) and 601.168(a), the policies to be written by an insurance company or surety company authorized to write motor vehicle liability insurance in this state.
(e) The fee for a permit under this section is the fee that would be required for registering the vehicle under Section 502.253 or 502.255, except as provided by Subsection (f).
(f) A vehicle registered under this section is exempt from the token fee and is not required to display the associated distinguishing license plate if the vehicle:
(1) is a semitrailer that has a gross weight of more than 6,000 pounds; and
(2) is used or intended to be used in combination with a truck tractor or commercial motor vehicle with a gross vehicle weight of more than 10,000 pounds.
(g) A vehicle registered under this section is not subject to the fee required by Section 502.401 or 502.403.
Transferred, redesignated and amended from Transportation Code, Section 502.353 by Acts 2011, 82nd Leg., R.S., Ch. 1296 (H.B. 2357), Sec. 96, eff. January 1, 2012.