Sec. 502.059. ISSUANCE OF REGISTRATION INSIGNIA. (a) On payment of the prescribed fee an applicant for motor vehicle registration shall be issued a registration insignia.
(b) On application and payment of the prescribed fee for a renewal of the registration of a vehicle through the period set by rule, the department shall issue a registration insignia for the validation of the license plate or plates to be attached as provided by Subsection (c).
(c) Except as provided by Subsection (f), the registration insignia for validation of a license plate shall be attached to the inside of the vehicle's windshield, if the vehicle has a windshield, in the lower left corner in a manner that will not obstruct the vision of the driver. If the vehicle does not have a windshield, the owner, when applying for registration or renewal of registration, shall notify the department, and the department shall issue a distinctive device for attachment to the rear license plate of the vehicle.
(d) Department rules may provide for the use of an automated registration process, including:
(1) the automated on-site production of registration insignia; and
(2) automated on-premises and off-premises self-service registration.
(e) Subsection (c) does not apply to:
(1) the issuance of specialized license plates as designated by the department, including state official license plates, exempt plates for governmental entities, and temporary registration plates; or
(2) the issuance or validation of replacement license plates, except as provided by Chapter 504.
(f) The registration insignia shall be attached to the rear license plate of the vehicle, if the vehicle is:
(1) a motorcycle;
(2) machinery used exclusively to drill water wells or construction machinery for which a distinguishing license plate has been issued under Section 502.146; or
(3) oil well servicing, oil clean out, or oil well drilling machinery or equipment for which a distinguishing license plate has been issued under Subchapter G, Chapter 623.
Transferred, redesignated and amended from Transportation Code, Section 502.180 by Acts 2011, 82nd Leg., R.S., Ch. 1296 (H.B. 2357), Sec. 90, eff. January 1, 2012.
Acts 2013, 83rd Leg., R.S., Ch. 1291 (H.B. 2305), Sec. 13, eff. March 1, 2015.