Sec. 1001.051. COMMISSIONER. (a) The executive commissioner shall appoint a commissioner of the department with the approval of the governor. The commissioner is to be selected according to education, training, experience, and demonstrated ability.
(a-1) The executive commissioner shall employ the commissioner in accordance with Section 531.0056, Government Code.
(a-2) Except as provided in Subsection (a-3), the commissioner must:
(1) have at least five years of experience in the administration of public health systems; and
(2) be a person licensed to practice medicine in this state.
(a-3) The executive commissioner may, based on the qualifications and experience in administering public health systems, employ a person other than a physician as the commissioner.
(a-4) If the executive commissioner employs a person as commissioner who is not a physician, then the executive commissioner shall designate a person licensed to practice medicine in this state as chief medical executive.
(b) The commissioner serves at the pleasure of the executive commissioner.
(b-1) The executive commissioner may supplement the salary of the commissioner with the approval of the governor. The salary may not exceed 1.5 times the salary of the governor, from funds appropriated to the department. The use of funds from other sources are not limited by this subsection.
(c) Subject to the control of the executive commissioner, the commissioner shall:
(1) act as the department's chief administrative officer;
(2) in accordance with the procedures prescribed by Section 531.00551, Government Code, assist the executive commissioner in the development and implementation of policies and guidelines needed for the administration of the department's functions;
(3) in accordance with the procedures adopted by the executive commissioner under Section 531.00551, Government Code, assist the executive commissioner in the development of rules relating to the matters within the department's jurisdiction, including the delivery of services to persons and the rights and duties of persons who are served or regulated by the department; and
(4) serve as a liaison between the department and commission.
(d) The commissioner shall administer this chapter under operational policies established by the executive commissioner and in accordance with the memorandum of understanding under Section 531.0055(k), Government Code, between the commissioner and the executive commissioner, as adopted by rule.
Added by Acts 2003, 78th Leg., ch. 198, Sec. 1.09.
Acts 2015, 84th Leg., R.S., Ch. 1 (S.B. 219), Sec. 3.0006, eff. April 2, 2015.
Acts 2015, 84th Leg., R.S., Ch. 1 (S.B. 219), Sec. 3.1631, eff. April 2, 2015.