As used in this Chapter the following terms have the following meanings:
(1) "Applicant." Any person considered or who requests to be considered for employment by an employer.
(2) "City agency" means the City, or any City department, agency, board or commission.
(3) "Conditional offer of employment" means an offer by an employer to hire an applicant, which may be withdrawn only if the employer subsequently determines that the applicant (i) has a conviction record which, based on an individualized assessment as required by § 9-3504(2), would reasonably lead an employer to conclude that the applicant would pose an unacceptable risk in the position applied for; or (ii) does not meet other legal or physical requirements of the job.
(4) "Conviction" shall mean any sentence arising from a verdict or plea of guilty or nolo contendere, including a sentence of incarceration, a suspended sentence, a sentence of probation or a sentence of unconditional discharge.
(5) "Employment" means any occupation, vocation, job, work for pay or employment, including temporary or seasonal work, contracted work, contingent work and work through the services of a temporary or other employment agency; or any form of vocational or educational training with or without pay. "Employment" shall not, for the purposes of this Chapter, include membership in any law enforcement agency, or domestic services in or about the private home in which the employer resides, as defined in the Pennsylvania Minimum Wage Act, 43 P.S. § 333.101, and its regulations at 34 Pa. Code § 231.1(b).
(6) "Inquiry" means any direct or indirect conduct intended to gather information, using any mode of communication.
(7) "Criminal Justice Agency" means any court, including the minor judiciary, with criminal jurisdiction or any other governmental agency, or subunit thereof, created by statute or by the State or Federal constitutions, specifically authorized to perform as its principal function the administration of criminal justice, and which allocates a substantial portion of its annual budget to such function; and agencies whose principal function relates to the administration of criminal justice, including but not limited to organized State and municipal police departments, local detention facilities, correctional facilities, probation agencies, district or prosecuting attorneys, parole boards, pardon boards, and public agencies that provide care, guidance and control to adjudicated delinquents.
(8) "License" means any certificate, license, permit, authorization or grant of permission required by the City as a condition for the lawful practice of any occupation, employment, trade, vocation, business, or profession. "License" shall not, for the purposes of this Chapter, include any license, authorization or permit to own, possess, carry, or fire any explosive, pistol, handgun, rifle, shotgun, or other firearm.
(9) "Private employer" means any person, company, corporation, labor organization or association which employs any persons within the City of Philadelphia. It includes job placement and referral agencies and other employment agencies.