A victim of a motor vehicle accident as defined in this section shall, upon his request, be provided in writing by the court adjudicating any offense committed during that motor vehicle accident with the following information:
(1) Information about the victim's role in the court process;
(2) Timely advance notice of the date, time, and place of the defendant's initial appearance before a judicial officer, submission to the court of any plea agreement, the trial and sentencing;
(3) Timely notification of the case disposition, including the trial and sentencing;
(4) Prompt notification of any decision or action in the case which results in the defendant's provisional or final release from custody; and
(5) Information about the status of the case at any time from the commission of the offense to final disposition or release of the defendant.
As used in this section, "victim" means, unless otherwise indicated, a person who suffers death, or any personal, physical, or psychological injury as a result of a motor vehicle accident. In the case of death, "victim" means a surviving spouse, child, or the next of kin.
When a need is demonstrated, the information in this section shall be provided in the Spanish as well as the English language.
b. A victim shall be provided with an opportunity to consult with the prosecutor prior to a dismissal of a case or the filing of a proposed plea negotiation with the court if a victim suffered death or sustained bodily injury or serious bodily injury as defined in N.J.S. 2C:11-1.
c. This section shall not be construed to alter or limit the authority or discretion of the Supreme Court to regulate the practice of plea agreements in municipal court, or alter or limit the authority or discretion of a prosecutor.
L. 1987, c. 307, s. 2.