ง 13-402.1. Certain vehicles of nonresidents not subject to registration
(a) In general. -- A nonresident may drive or permit the driving of a foreign vehicle in this State, without registering the vehicle in this State, if:
(1) At all times while driven in this State, the vehicle:
(i) Is registered in and displays current registration plates issued for it in the owner's place of residence; and
(ii) Carries as provided in ง 13-409(a) of this subtitle, a current registration card issued for it in the owner's place of residence; and
(2) Except as otherwise provided in this section or under an agreement in compliance with Title 12, Subtitle 4 of this article, the vehicle is not:
(i) Used for transporting persons for hire, compensation, or profit;
(ii) Regularly operated in carrying on business in this State;
(iii) Designed, used, or maintained primarily for the transportation of property; or
(iv) In the custody of any resident for more than 30 days during any registration year.
(b) Complimentary guest cards. -- With the approval of the Governor, the Administration may permit a foreign vehicle to be driven in this State by:
(1) Issuing complimentary guest cards, permits, or licenses to persons visiting this State from any foreign country; or
(2) Recognizing and permitting the use of guest cards, permits, or licenses granted by other states.
(c) Vehicles of members of armed forces. -- If a nonresident is a member of the armed forces of the United States or of the United States Public Health Service and is serving on active duty in this State or an adjoining state or the District of Columbia, the nonresident need not register his personal passenger vehicles in this State if the vehicles are registered in the state of his residence.
(d) Vehicles of nonresident students. -- If a nonresident is a student enrolled in an accredited school, college, or university of this State or of a bordering state or is serving a medical internship in this State, the nonresident need not register his vehicles in this State if:
(1) The state of which the nonresident is a resident extends the same privileges to the residents of this State; and
(2) The nonresident meets the required security provisions of the Maryland Vehicle Law as to any vehicle to which this exemption applies.
(e) Nonresident's permit. --
(1) Except as provided in paragraphs (2) and (3) of this subsection, if a nonresident temporarily maintains or occupies a dwelling in this State for a period in excess of 30 days but not in excess of 1 year, the nonresident shall obtain a nonresident's permit from the Administration, in lieu of registration, within 10 days immediately following the 30-day period.
(2) A nonresident exempt from registration under subsection (d) of this section shall obtain a nonresident's permit from the Administration, in lieu of registration, within 30 days of maintaining or occupying a dwelling in this State.
(3) A nonresident exempt from registration under subsection (c) of this section may obtain a nonresident's permit from the Administration, in lieu of registration, if the permit application is made within 10 days immediately following the 30-day period.
(4) (i) On application, a nonresident's permit may be issued by the Administration, or an agent designated by the Administration, in a form determined by the Administration.
(ii) For each nonresident permit it issues, an agent designated by the Administration may collect a fee not to exceed $ 4 in addition to the nonresident permit fee to offset expenses incurred in the issuance of nonresident permits.
(5) The application shall be accompanied by:
(i) A fee established by the Administration;
(ii) Evidence to reasonably establish that the applicant has a domicile outside of this State and is not a resident as defined in ง 11-149 of this article; and
(iii) Evidence that the nonresident meets the required security provisions of the Maryland Vehicle Law.
(6) The nonresident permit shall be displayed on the windshield of the nonresident's exempt vehicle in the place and manner prescribed by the Administration.
(7) (i) A nonresident permit issued under paragraph (1) or (2) of this subsection shall be issued for a period not to exceed 1 year.
(ii) A nonresident permit issued under paragraph (3) of this subsection shall be valid until the expiration date of the registration plates of the vehicle to which it is issued.
(iii) 1. A nonresident permit issued under paragraph (2) of this subsection may be renewed annually in accordance with the nonresident's eligibility for the exemption provided in subsection (d) of this section.
2. A renewal fee established by the Administration shall be paid at the time of renewal.
(8) (i) Of the funds collected under paragraphs (5)(i) and (7)(iii)2 of this subsection, the Administration shall retain an amount equal to its administrative costs under this section.
(ii) Any excess funds shall be credited to the Gasoline and Motor Vehicle Revenue Account for distribution as highway user revenues in accordance with งง 8-403 and 8-404 of this article.
(f) Penalty for violation. -- A person who drives or attempts to drive a vehicle on any highway in this State in violation of any of the provisions of this section is guilty of a misdemeanor.