ง 4-205. Copies; printouts; photographs; electronic format
(a) "Metadata" defined. --
(1) In this section, "metadata" means information, generally not visible when an electronic document is printed, describing the history, tracking, or management of the electronic document, including information about data in the electronic document that describes how, when, and by whom the data is collected, created, accessed, or modified and how the data is formatted.
(2) "Metadata" does not include:
(i) a spreadsheet formula;
(ii) a database field;
(iii) an externally or internally linked file; or
(iv) a reference to an external file or a hyperlink.
(b) In general. -- Except as otherwise provided in this section, if an applicant who is authorized to inspect a public record requests a copy, printout, or photograph of the public record, the custodian shall provide the applicant with:
(1) a copy, printout, or photograph of the public record; or
(2) if the custodian does not have facilities to reproduce the public record, access to the public record to make the copy, printout, or photograph.
(c) Public record in electronic format. --
(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2) of this subsection, the custodian of a public record shall provide an applicant with a copy of the public record in a searchable and analyzable electronic format if:
(i) the public record is in a searchable and analyzable electronic format;
(ii) the applicant requests a copy of the public record in a searchable and analyzable electronic format; and
(iii) the custodian is able to provide a copy of the public record, in whole or in part, in a searchable and analyzable electronic format that does not disclose:
1. confidential or protected information for which the custodian is required to deny inspection in accordance with Subtitle 3, Parts I through III of this title; or
2. information for which a custodian has chosen to deny inspection in accordance with Subtitle 3, Part IV of this title.
(2) The State Department of Assessments and Taxation is not required to provide an applicant with a copy of the public record in a searchable and analyzable electronic format if the State Department of Assessments and Taxation has provided the public record to a contractor that will provide the applicant a copy of the public record in a searchable and analyzable electronic format for a reasonable cost.
(3) A custodian may remove metadata from an electronic document before providing the electronic document to an applicant by:
(i) using a software program or function; or
(ii) converting the electronic document into a different searchable and analyzable format.
(4) This subsection may not be construed to:
(i) require the custodian to reconstruct a public record in an electronic format if the custodian no longer has the public record available in an electronic format;
(ii) allow a custodian to make a public record available only in an electronic format;
(iii) require a custodian to create, compile, or program a new public record; or
(iv) require a custodian to release an electronic record in a format that would jeopardize or compromise the security or integrity of the original record or of any proprietary software in which the record is maintained.
(5) If a public record exists in a searchable and analyzable electronic format, the act of a custodian providing a portion of the public record in a searchable and analyzable electronic format does not constitute creating a new public record.
(d) Conditions for making a copy, printout, or photograph; schedule. --
(1) The copy, printout, or photograph shall be made:
(i) while the public record is in the custody of the custodian; and
(ii) whenever practicable, where the public record is kept.
(2) The official custodian may set a reasonable time schedule to make copies, printouts, or photographs.