§ 20-101. Definitions.
(a) In general. -- In this title the following words have the meanings indicated.
(b) Automated purchasing machine. -- "Automated purchasing machine" means a self-service device that:
(1) is designed to dispense money in exchange for personal property; and
(2) is also known as a reverse vending machine.
(c) Buyer. -- "Buyer" means a person that buys or offers to buy personal property by means of an automated purchasing machine.
(d) Electronic device. -- "Electronic device" means a device capable of facilitating communication through voice, data, text, or other visual or auditory format.
(e) Employee. -- "Employee" means an individual who is employed by a buyer to buy or supervise directly the buying of personal property.
(f) License. -- "License" means a license issued by the Secretary to do business as a buyer.
(g) Personal property. --
(1) "Personal property" means private property that is moveable.
(2) "Personal property" includes:
(i) property that is serialized or normally has a unique identifier; and
(ii) gift cards or vouchers that have monetary value.
(h) Primary law enforcement unit. -- "Primary law enforcement unit" means the Department of State Police, a police department, or sheriff, as designated by a resolution of the county or municipal governing body in the county in which the automated purchasing machine is located.
(i) Recyclable materials. --
(1) "Recyclable materials" means material that:
(i) if not recycled, would become solid waste for disposal in a refuse disposal system; and
(ii) may be collected, separated, or processed and returned to the marketplace in the form of raw materials or products.
(2) "Recyclable materials" includes paper, glass, metals, plastics, and cardboard.
(j) Resident agent. -- "Resident agent" means a person registered in the State who:
(1) serves as a primary point of contact;
(2) regularly conducts business for the licensee; and
(3) maintains a physical location in Maryland where the resident agent regularly conducts business and at which the resident agent or an employee of the resident agent is physically present during normal business hours.
(k) Seller. -- "Seller" means a person who sells or offers to sell personal property to an automated purchasing machine.