§305.62. Exemption; Annual Louisiana Second Amendment Weekend Holiday
A. This Act shall be known as the Annual Louisiana Second Amendment Weekend Holiday Act.
B.(1) Notwithstanding any other provisions of law to the contrary, the sales and use tax levied by the state of Louisiana and its political subdivisions shall not apply to the sales price or cost price of any consumer purchases of firearms, ammunition, and hunting supplies that occur each calendar year on the first consecutive Friday through Sunday of September.
(2) For purposes of this Section,"consumer purchases" shall mean purchases by individuals of firearms, ammunition, and hunting supplies not for business purposes. Consumer purchases shall not include the purchase of animals for the use of hunting.
(3) For the purposes of this Section, "hunting supplies" shall mean purchases of any tangible personal property for the use of hunting, including but not limited to archery, off-road vehicles, and vessels such as ATVs, airboats, and pirogues, accessories, animal feed, apparel, shoes, bags, float tubes, binoculars, tools, firearm and archery cases, firearm and archery accessories, range finders, knives, decoys, treestands, blinds, chairs, optics, hearing protection and enhancements, holsters, belts, slings and miscellaneous gear.
(4) For purposes of this Section, "firearms" shall mean a shotgun, rifle, pistol, revolver, or other handgun.
C. This provision will apply if and only if during the time period provided for in Paragraph (B)(1) of this Section, one of the following occurs:
(1) Title to or possession of firearms, ammunition and hunting supplies are transferred from a selling dealer to a purchaser.
(2) A customer selects an eligible item from the selling dealer's inventory for layaway that is physically set aside in the selling dealer's inventory for future delivery to that customer.
(3) The customer makes final payment and withdraws an item from layaway that might have been placed before the time period provided for in Paragraph (B)(1) of this Section.
(4) The customer orders and pays for an eligible item and the selling dealer accepts the order for immediate shipment, even if delivery is made after the time period provided for in Paragraph (B)(1) of this Section, provided that the customer has not requested delayed shipment.
D. Eligible items that customers purchase during the time period provided for in Paragraph (B)(1) of this Section with "rain checks" will qualify for exemption, regardless of when the "rain checks" were issued. However, issuance of "rain checks" during the exemption period will not qualify items for exemption if the otherwise eligible items are actually purchased after the time period provided for in Paragraph (B)(1) of this Section.
E.(1) When a customer purchases an eligible item during the time period provided for in Paragraph (B)(1) of this Section and exchanges the item without additional cash consideration after such time period for an essentially identical item of different size, caliber, color, or other feature, no additional tax is due.
(2) When a customer after the time period provided for in Paragraph (B)(1) of this Section, returns an eligible item that was purchased during such time period and receives credit on the purchase of a different item, the appropriate sales tax is due on the purchase of the new item.
F. For a sixty-day period after the time period provided for in Paragraph (B)(1) of this Section, when a customer returns an item that would qualify for an exemption, no credit or refunds of sales tax shall be given unless the customer provides a receipt or invoice that shows that the sales tax was paid, or the retailer has sufficient documentation that shows that the tax was paid on the specific item. This sixty-day period is not intended to change a dealer's policy concerning the time period during which returns will be accepted.
Acts 2009, No. 453, §1, eff. July 9, 2009.