§287.655. Failure by corporation to pay estimated income tax
A. Addition to the tax. In case of any underpayment of estimated tax by a corporation, except as provided in Subsection D, there shall be added to the tax under this Part for the taxable year a penalty of twelve percent per annum upon the amount of the underpayment, determined under Subsection B, for the period of the underpayment as determined under Subsection C.
B. Amount of underpayment. For purposes of Subsection A, the amount of the underpayment shall be the excess of:
(1) The amount of the installment which would be required to be paid if the estimated tax were equal to eighty percent of the tax shown on the return for the taxable year, or if no return was filed, eighty percent of the tax for such year, over
(2) The amount, if any, of the installment paid on or before the last date prescribed for payment.
C. Period of underpayment. The period of the underpayment shall run from the date the installment was required to be paid to whichever of the following dates is the earlier:
(1) The 15th day of the fourth month following the close of the taxable year.
(2) With respect to any portion of the underpayment, the date on which such portion is paid. For purposes of this Paragraph, a payment of estimated tax on any installment date shall be considered a payment of any previous underpayment only to the extent such payment exceeds the amount of the installment determined under Subsection B(1) for such installment date.
D. Exception. Notwithstanding the provisions of the preceding Subsections, the penalty imposed with respect to any underpayment of any installment shall not be imposed if the total amount of all payments of estimated tax made on or before the last date prescribed for payment of such installment equals or exceeds the amount which would have been required to be paid on or before such date, if the estimated tax were whichever of the following is the lesser:
(1) The tax shown on the return of the corporation for the preceding year was for a taxable year of twelve months.
(2) An amount equal to the tax computed at the rates applicable to the taxable year but otherwise on the basis of the acts shown on the return of the corporation for, and the law applicable to, the preceding taxable year.
(3)(a) An amount equal to eighty percent of the tax for the taxable year computed by placing on an annualized basis the taxable income:
(i) for the first three months of the taxable year, in the case of the installment required to be paid in the fourth month,
(ii) for the first three months or for the first six months of the taxable year, in the case of the installment required to be paid in the sixth month of the taxable year,
(iii) for the first six months or the first eight months of the taxable year in the case of the installment required to be paid in the ninth month, and
(iv) for the first nine months or for the first eleven months of the taxable year, in the case of the installment to be paid in the twelfth month of the taxable year.
(b) For purposes of this Paragraph, the taxable income shall be placed on an annualized basis by
(i) multiplying by twelve the taxable income referred to in Subparagraph (a), and
(ii) dividing the resulting amount by the number of months in the taxable year (3, 5, 6, 8, 9, or 11, as the case may be) referred to in Subparagraph (a).
E. Definition of tax. In general. For purposes of Subsections B and D, the term "tax" means the tax imposed by this Part less the sum of any credits allowable against the tax.
F. Short taxable year. The application of this Section to taxable years of less than twelve months shall be as prescribed by the secretary.
G. Excessive adjustment under R.S. 47:287.656.
(1) Addition to tax. If the amount of an adjustment under R.S. 47:287.656 made before the fifteenth day of the fourth month following the close of the taxable year is excessive there shall be added to the tax under this Part for the taxable year a penalty of twelve percent per annum upon the excessive amount from the date on which the credit is allowed or the refund is paid to such fifteenth day.
(2) Excessive amount. For purposes of Paragraph (1), the excessive amount shall be equal to the lesser of the amount of the adjustment or the amount by which:
(a) The income tax liability, as defined in R.S. 47:287.656(C), for the taxable year as shown on the return for the taxable year, exceeds
(b) The estimated income tax paid during the taxable year, reduced by the amount of the adjustment.
Acts 1986, 1st Ex. Sess., No. 16, §1, eff. Dec. 24, 1986; Acts 2006, No. 320, §1, eff. June 13, 2006.