CHAPTER 5. MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY RESPONSIBILITY LAW
PART I. GENERAL PROVISIONS
The following words and phrases, when used in this Chapter, shall, for the purposes of this Chapter, have the meanings respectively ascribed to them in this Section, except in those instances where the context clearly indicates a different meaning:
(1) "Commissioner" means the Department of Public Safety and Corrections.
(2) "Judgment" means any judgment which shall have become final by expiration without appeal of the time within which a suspensive appeal might have been perfected or by final affirmation on appeal, rendered by a court of competent jurisdiction of any state or of the United States, upon a cause of action arising out of the ownership, maintenance, or use of any motor vehicle, for damages, including damages for care and loss of services, because of bodily injury to or death of any person, or for damages because of injury to or destruction of property including the loss of use thereof, or upon a cause of action on an agreement of settlement for such damages.
(3) "License" means any license, temporary instruction permit, or temporary license issued under the laws of this state pertaining to the licensing of persons to operate motor vehicles.
(4) "Mobile electronic device" means any small handheld computing or communications device that has a display screen with touch input or a miniature keyboard.
(5) "Motor vehicle" means every self-propelled vehicle (except traction engines, road rollers, farm tractors, tractor cranes, power shovels, and well drillers) and every vehicle which is propelled by electric power obtained from overhead wires but not operated upon rails.
(6) " Nonresident" means every person who is not a resident of this state but does not include persons dwelling outside of this state whose occupation or business requires them to spend one-half or more of their working hours in this state in pursuance of their business or employment.
(7) "Nonresident's operating privileges" means the privileges conferred upon a nonresident by the laws of this state pertaining to the operation by him of a motor vehicle, or the use of a motor vehicle owned by him, in this state.
(8) "Operator" means every person who is in actual physical control of a motor vehicle.
(9) "Owner" means every person who holds the legal title to a motor vehicle or in the event a motor vehicle is the subject of an agreement for the conditional sale, lease, or transfer of the possession, however, thereof, with the right of purchase upon performance of the condition stated in the agreement and with an immediate right of possession vested in the conditional vendee, lessee, possessor, or in the event such or similar transaction is had by means of a mortgage, and the mortgagor of a vehicle is entitled to possession, then such conditional vendee, lessee, possessor, or mortgagor shall be deemed the owner for the purpose of this Chapter.
(10) "Person" means every natural person, firm, co-partnership, association, or corporation.
(11) "Proof of financial responsibility" means proof of ability to respond in damages for liability, on account of accidents occurring subsequent to the effective date of the proof, arising out of the ownership, maintenance, or use of a motor vehicle in the amounts specified in R.S. 32:872 in reference to the acceptable limits of a policy or bond.
(12) "Registration" includes a registration certificate or certificates and registration plates issued under the laws of this state pertaining to the registration of motor vehicles.
(13) "State" means any state, territory, or possession of the United States, the District of Columbia, or any province of the Dominion of Canada.
Acts 1952, No. 52, §1; Acts 1984, No. 237, §1; Acts 2012, No. 824, §1.