§707.1. Deceased persons; titles to vehicles
A. The office of motor vehicles shall establish a procedure by which surviving spouses, heirs, and legatees of deceased persons may obtain title to a vehicle or vehicles which is, or are, titled in the name of the deceased person.
B. The procedure established under the provisions of this Section shall contain but shall not be limited to the following provisions:
(1) Any person who has an ownership interest in a vehicle which is titled in the name of a deceased person may apply for a title to the vehicle.
(2) The applicant shall attach to the application a copy of the death certificate of the deceased person, or other proof of death acceptable to the office of motor vehicles.
(3) The applicant shall attach to the application either a copy of the will, if any, which was executed by the deceased person or a notarized statement summarizing the disposition of vehicles contained in the will.
(4) The applicant shall attach to the application the title and the registration certificate of the vehicle, if available. If the title or registration certificate is not available, the applicant shall include a declaration of that fact in the affidavit executed by the applicant under Paragraph (5) of this Subsection.
(5) The applicant and each other person who has an ownership interest in the vehicle shall execute an affidavit which shall contain:
(a) A declaration establishing the relationship of each affiant to the deceased person.
(b) A declaration of each affiant's knowledge, or lack of knowledge, of a will executed by the deceased person.
(c) A declaration by each affiant, other than the applicant, by which the affiant donates, sells, or otherwise transfers to the applicant all ownership interest which the affiant has in the vehicle.
(6) The affidavits required by Paragraph (5) above may be executed in one or more documents. The affidavits shall be attached to the application.
(7) The office of motor vehicles may require applicants and other persons who have an ownership interest in the vehicle to provide specific information, or to make specific declarations, or to submit copies of specific documents in connection with applications for titles under the provisions of this Section. The information, declarations, or documents of this Paragraph shall be limited to information, declarations, and documents which are necessary to insure the integrity of the title to the vehicle.
C. The office of motor vehicles shall adopt administrative rules to implement the provisions of this Section. The rules shall be adopted in accordance with the provisions of the Administrative Procedure Act.
Acts 1992, No. 992, §1, eff. July 9, 1992.