§1722. Exemption from provisions of R.S. 32:1718 through 1721
A.(1) Except when summoned to a location by a law enforcement agency from a call allocation system, the provisions of R.S. 32:1718 through 1721 shall not apply where the verified owner of the vehicle or the verified legal representative of the owner has entered into a contract, in writing on a form herein described, for the continuous storage or parking of the vehicle.
(2) The storage facility shall verify the registered owner and any lien holder in accordance with R.S. 32:1718.
(3) The storage facility shall verify and keep a copy of any legal documents declaring the status of any person claiming to be a legal representative of a vehicle owner.
B. For the purposes of this Section, when a vehicle is stored as a result of a court order, the court shall act as a representative of the owner, thus the notifications of R.S. 32:1718 through R.S. 32:1721 are not required.
C. The written storage contract shall contain the following:
(1) The name, address, and driver's license number of the verified owner or verified legal representative of the owner that is making the storage arrangements.
(2) The name and address of the owner if different from the above person.
(3) The name and address of any lien holder on the vehicle title.
(4) The cost of storage and any other costs that will be accrued to the vehicle. Any costs not set forth within the storage agreement may not be charged.
(5) A description of the vehicle.
(6) The vehicle identification number.
(7) The vehicle license plate number.
(8) The condition of the vehicle.
(9) The date that the vehicle is placed in storage.
(10) The date after which time the vehicle will be considered abandoned, not to exceed six months from the date of storage.
(11) Notice that when the vehicle is considered abandoned, it will be subject to sale by the storage facility owner.
(12) The signature of the owner or legal representative of the owner that is making the storage arrangements.
D. The storage facility owner shall give notice in writing to the verified lienholder at least fifteen business days prior to the expiration of the storage contract in Subsection C of this Section.
Acts 1989, No. 522, §1; Acts 2009, No. 435, §1, eff. July 1, 2010.