For all purposes of this Chapter and regulations applicable thereto, the terms defined in this Section shall have the following meanings unless the context or use clearly indicates otherwise:
(1) "Carrier" means any person who transports in a transport vehicle hazardous materials, freight or passengers subject to this Chapter and includes a common, contract, or private carrier.
(2) "Common carrier" means any carrier other than a contract carrier or private carrier.
(3) "Contract carrier" means a for-hire carrier who transports hazardous materials, freight, or passengers tendered exclusively by shippers under special contract and whose services are not available to the public.
(4) "Department" means the Department of Public Safety and Corrections.
(5)(a) "Hazardous materials" means any gaseous, liquid, or solid material which because of its quantity, concentration, or physical, chemical, or biological composition poses a substantial present or potential hazard to human health, the environment, or property when transported in commerce, or which material is identified or designated as being hazardous by rules and regulations adopted and promulgated by the secretary of the Department of Public Safety and Corrections pursuant to the Louisiana Administrative Procedure Act. The secretary, in finding that a material is hazardous, shall consider the following factors with respect to each material:
(i) Actual or relative potential for harm to human health, the environment, or property when transported in commerce.
(ii) Scientific evidence of its potential for harm based upon quantity, concentration, or chemical or biological composition.
(iii) State of current scientific knowledge regarding the material.
(iv) Its history and current pattern of harm.
(v) Actual or potential volatility when combined with other common substances likely to be encountered during transportation in commerce.
(vi) Actual or relative potential for harm to human health if allowed to escape its containment.
(b) The rules and regulations adopted by the secretary of the Department of Public Safety and Corrections shall be consistent with the Code of Federal Regulations Title 49. "Explosives" as defined and regulated by R.S. 40:1471.1 through 1471.22 shall be considered to be hazardous material subject to regulation by this Chapter.
(6) "Person" means a natural person, firm, association, partnership, co-partnership, joint venture, corporation, or other legal entity.
(7) "Private carrier" means a carrier who transports hazardous materials, freight, or passengers for its use or for other purpose without reward or compensation.
(8) "Transport vehicle" means a motor vehicle, rail freight car, freight container, cargo tank, portable tank, aircraft, or vessel used to transport hazardous materials, freight, or passengers.
(9) "Hazardous waste" shall be defined as provided in R.S. 30:2173.
(10) "Freight" means anything that is loaded for transportation.
(11) "Secretary" means the secretary of the Department of Public Safety and Corrections or his designee.
Added by Acts 1979, No. 83, §1. Amended by Acts 1980, No. 603, §1, eff. July 23, 1980; Acts 1981, No. 262, §1; Acts 1984, No. 412, §1; Acts 1985, No. 113, §1, eff. June 29, 1985; Acts 1985, No. 549, §1, eff. July 12, 1985; Acts 1987, No. 845, §1.