§95.6. Firearm-free zone; notice; signs; crime; penalties
A. A "firearm-free zone" is an area inclusive of any school campus and within one
thousand feet of any such school campus, and within a school bus, wherein the possession
of firearms is prohibited, except as specifically set forth in Subsection B of this Section and
B. The provisions of this Section shall not apply to:
(1) A federal, state, or local law enforcement building.
(2) A military base.
(3) A commercial establishment which is permitted by law to have firearms or armed
(4) Private premises where a firearm is kept pursuant to law.
(5) Any constitutionally protected activity within the firearm-free zone, such as a
firearm contained entirely within a motor vehicle.
C. For purposes of this Section:
(1) "School" means any public or private elementary, secondary, high school, or
vocational-technical school, college, or university in this state.
(2) "School campus" means all facilities and property within the boundary of the
(3) "School bus" means any motor bus being used to transport children to and from
school or in connection with school activities.
D. The local governing authority which has jurisdiction over zoning matters in which
each firearm-free zone is located shall publish a map clearly indicating the boundaries of
each firearm-free zone in accordance with the specifications in Subsection A. The firearm-free zone map shall be made an official public document and placed with the clerk of court
for the parish or parishes in which the firearm-free zone is located.
E.(1) The state superintendent of education, with the approval of the State Board of
Elementary and Secondary Education, and the commissioner of higher education, with the
approval of the Board of Regents, shall develop a method by which to mark firearm-free
zones, including the use of signs or other markings suitable to the situation. Signs or other
markings shall be located in a visible manner on or near each school and on and in each
school bus indicating that such area is a firearm-free zone and that such zone extends to one
thousand feet from the boundary of school property. The state Department of Education shall
assist each approved school with the posting of notice as required in this Subsection.
(2) Signs or other markings, in addition to the method developed pursuant to
Paragraph (1) of this Subsection, shall provide notice that armed law enforcement officers
are permitted within the firearm-free zone by including in the signs or other markings the
language "Law Enforcement Weapons Permitted" or language substantially similar thereto.
F.(1) It is unlawful for any person to cover, remove, deface, alter, or destroy any sign
or other marking identifying a firearm-free zone as provided in this Section.
(2) Whoever violates the provisions of this Subsection shall be fined not more than
one thousand dollars or imprisoned for not more than six months, or both.
Acts 1992, No. 197, §1; Acts 1993, No. 844, §1; Acts 1993, No. 1031, §1; Acts 2016,
No. 337, §1.