§222.1. Unauthorized interception, interference with, or retransmission of services offered over a cable television system
A. No person shall knowingly:
(1) Intercept, receive, retransmit, connect, attach, modify, alter, remove, or tamper with any equipment, device, or television or radio component for the purpose of intercepting, receiving, or retransmitting without the authorization of a cable television system any and all services provided by or through the facilities of that system; or
(2) Manufacture, sell, offer for sale, transfer, rent, or distribute any device, equipment, plans, schematics, instructions, kit, technology, software, electronic serial number, address, media access control address, Internet protocol address, account number, telephone number, credit number, code, personal identification number, dynamic host configuration protocol, counterfeit or clone device or component, tumbler microchip, cable television decoding device, or smart card, which is primarily designed, manufactured, sold, possessed, used, or offered for the purpose of violating this Section.
(3) Disrupt or interfere with the provision of services offered over a cable television system.
B. For the purposes of this Section the phrase "all services provided by or through the facilities of a cable television system" means for a charge or compensation to facilitate the programming, origination, transmission, projection, emission, or reception of signs, signals, data, audio, visual, writings, images, sounds, or intelligence of any nature including programming services, Internet access, and bandwidth.
C. For purposes of Subsections D and E of this Section, "second or subsequent offense" shall mean a violation of this Section, R.S. 14:67, 67.3, 222, 222.2, or 223 through 223.8 or any other law of this state prohibiting any of the actions set forth in Subsection A of this Section.
D. Whoever violates the provisions of Paragraph (A)(1) of this Section shall:
(1) On first offense, be fined not more than one thousand dollars; and
(2) On second or subsequent offense, be fined not more than twenty-five thousand dollars or imprisoned for not more than sixty days, or both.
E. Whoever violates the provisions of Paragraph (A)(2) of this Section shall:
(1)(a) On a first offense, when the offender is convicted of manufacturing, selling, transferring, renting, or selling five or less components enumerated in Paragraph (A)(2) of this Subsection, be fined not more than five thousand dollars or be imprisoned for not more than six months.
(b) On a first offense, when the offender is convicted of manufacturing, selling, transferring, renting, or selling six or more components enumerated in Paragraph (A)(2) of this Section, or for any violation of Paragraph (A)(3) of this Section, be fined not more than twenty-five thousand dollars or be imprisoned for not more than two years, or both.
(2) For the second and subsequent violations of Paragraph (A)(2) or Paragraph (A)(3) of this Subsection, the offender shall be punished by a fine not exceeding one hundred thousand dollars or by imprisonment for not more than two years, or both.
F. Any such equipment, or a kit for making such equipment herein, may be seized by court order under a search warrant or incident to lawful arrest; and upon the conviction of any person for a violation of this Section or R.S. 14:67, 67.3, 222, 222.2 or 223 through 223.8 inclusive, such equipment or kit shall either be destroyed as contraband by the parish in which such person was convicted or turned over to the cable television system in whose territory such equipment or kit was seized.
G. It shall not be a violation of this Section to manufacture, distribute, or sell any device used for legal purposes merely because the same device is capable of being used to commit a violation of this Section, if the manufacturer, distributor, or seller does not act with the intent that such device will be used for conduct violating this Section.
H. This Section shall not be construed to impose any criminal liability upon any state or local law enforcement agency, any state or local governmental agency, municipality, or any communications service provider, cable television company or multipoint distribution system, unless such entity knowingly and intentionally violates the provisions of this Section.
Added by Acts 1983, No. 471, §1; Acts 2004, No. 270, §1, eff. July 1, 2004.