SUBPART D-1. PUBLIC BUILDINGS - ACCOMMODATION FOR
BREASTFEEDING AND LACTATION
§148.4.1. State-owned buildings; suitable accommodation for breastfeeding and lactation
A. The requirements set forth in this Section shall apply to the state-owned buildings, educational institutions, and office buildings provided for in Subsection C of this Section which are constructed, renovated, or remodeled in whole or in part by the use of state funds, or the funds of any board, commission, agency, or department of the state, referred to hereafter as "state buildings"; provided, however, that the provisions of this Subpart shall not apply to buildings constructed by parish or city school boards.
B. The state buildings provided for in Subsection C of this Section shall provide suitable accommodation in the form of a room, other than a toilet stall, for the exclusive use of women to breastfeed a child or express breast milk. Such accommodation shall have, at minimum, all of the following features:
(1) A lockable door.
(2) A work surface and chair.
(3) Storage for cleaning supplies.
(4) Conveniently placed electrical outlets.
C. On or before July 1, 2016, the superintendent of the office of state buildings shall cause to be constructed in exactly twenty state buildings rooms of the type provided for in this Subpart, in a number of at least one room per building. The superintendent shall select the buildings in which the specified rooms shall be constructed according to criteria including but not limited to the following:
(1) The superintendent shall consider the particular design aspects of different areas within public buildings in order to determine feasibility of construction of the specified room and to carry out such construction in a manner that minimizes cost. State general fund (direct) shall not be used for the construction of the specified room.
(2) The superintendent shall consider the estimated demand for utilization of the specified room by employees domiciled in the building and the public.
D. Subject to appropriation, the office of state buildings may construct rooms of the type provided for in this Subpart in a number of public buildings greater than ten.
E. To carry out the provisions of this Subpart, the office of state buildings may contract for and accept private contributions, gifts, and grants, or in-kind aid from the federal government, the state, or any other source.
Acts 2011, No. 269, §1, eff. July 1, 2012; Acts 2014, No. 681, §1, eff. June 18, 2014.