1. A dealer owning any vehicle of a type otherwise required to be registered under this chapter may operate or move the vehicle upon the highways solely for purposes of transporting, testing, demonstrating, or selling the vehicle without registering the vehicle, upon condition that the vehicle display in the manner prescribed in sections 321.37 and 321.38 a special plate issued to the owner as provided in sections 321.58 through 321.62. A dealer may operate or move upon the highways a vehicle owned by the dealer for either private or business purposes, including hauling a load or towing a trailer, without registering it if the vehicle is in the dealer’s inventory and is continuously offered for sale at retail, and there is displayed on it a special plate issued to the dealer as provided in sections 321.58 through 321.62. A dealer may operate or move upon the highways an unregistered vehicle owned by a lessor licensed pursuant to chapter 321F solely for the purpose of delivering the vehicle to the owner or transporting the vehicle to or from an auction if there is displayed on the vehicle a special plate issued to the dealer as provided in sections 321.58 through 321.62.
2. In addition, while a service customer is having the customer’s own vehicle serviced or repaired by the dealer, the service customer of the dealer may operate upon the highways a motor vehicle owned by the dealer, except a motor truck or truck tractor, upon which there is displayed a special plate issued to the dealer, provided all of the requirements of this section are complied with.
3. Also a transporter may operate or move any vehicle of like type upon the highways solely for the purpose of delivery upon likewise displaying thereon like plates issued to the transporter as provided in these sections.
4. The provisions of this section and sections 321.58 to 321.62 shall not apply to any vehicles offered for hire, work or service vehicles owned by a transporter or dealer.
5. A dealer licensed as a wholesaler for a new motor vehicle model under chapter 322 may operate a new motor vehicle of that model, owned by the wholesaler, upon the highway when there is displayed on the vehicle a special plate issued to the wholesaler as provided in sections 321.58 through 321.62 and when operated solely for the purposes of demonstration, show, or exhibition.
6. A manufacturer licensed under chapter 322 that manufactures ambulances, rescue vehicles, or fire vehicles may operate or move a new ambulance, rescue vehicle, or fire vehicle manufactured and owned by the manufacturer solely for purposes of transporting, demonstrating, showing, or exhibiting the vehicle when there is displayed on the vehicle a special plate issued to the manufacturer as provided in sections 321.58 through 321.62.
[SS15, §1571-m14; C24, 27, 31, 35, §4888, 4894, 4895; C39, §5004.01; C46, 50, 54, 58, 62, 66, 71, 73, 75, 77, 79, 81, §321.57; 82 Acts, ch 1251, §12]
92 Acts, ch 1175, §1; 97 Acts, ch 139, §5, 17; 98 Acts, ch 1121, §5, 9; 99 Acts, ch 188, §11; 2001 Acts, ch 153, §17, 18; 2002 Acts, ch 1063, §19; 2002 Acts, ch 1119, §47; 2006 Acts, ch 1068, §15; 2006 Acts, ch 1090, §18, 26; 2007 Acts, ch 102, §1; 2014 Acts, ch 1123, §27
Referred to in §321.309, §321E.10, §805.8A(2)(n)
For applicable scheduled fine, see §805.8A, subsection 2