1. The driver of any vehicle involved in an accident resulting in injury to or death of any person shall immediately stop the vehicle at the scene of the accident or as close as possible and if able, shall then return to and remain at the scene of the accident in accordance with section 321.263. Every such stop shall be made without obstructing traffic more than is necessary.
2. Any person failing to stop or to comply with the requirements in subsection 1 of this section, in the event of an accident resulting in an injury to any person is guilty upon conviction of a serious misdemeanor.
3. Notwithstanding subsection 2, any person failing to stop or to comply with the requirements in subsection 1, in the event of an accident resulting in a serious injury to any person, is guilty upon conviction of an aggravated misdemeanor. For purposes of this section, “serious injury” means as defined in section 702.18.
4. A person failing to stop or to comply with the requirements in subsection 1, in the event of an accident resulting in the death of a person, is guilty upon conviction of a class “D” felony.
5. The director shall revoke the driver’s license of a person convicted of a violation of this section.
[S13, §1571-m23; C24, 27, 31, 35, §5072, 5074; C39, §5020.01; C46, 50, 54, 58, 62, 66, 71, 73, 75, 77, 79, 81, §321.261; 81 Acts, ch 103, §4]
90 Acts, ch 1230, §67; 98 Acts, ch 1073, §9; 2006 Acts, ch 1082, §1, 2
Referred to in §321.228, §321.484, §321.555, §515D.4, §902.12, §915.80