1. A local authority shall not enact, enforce, or maintain any ordinance, regulation, or rule that imposes a requirement on a person operating a taxicab having a seating capacity of less than seven passengers and not operating on a regular route or between specified points that is more restrictive than any of the following:
a. Requiring the person to have a driver’s license valid for the operation of the motor vehicle used as a taxicab that is not an instruction permit, special instruction permit, or temporary restricted license.
b. Prohibiting the person from operating the taxicab if any of the following apply:
(1) The person is restricted to operating motor vehicles equipped with an ignition interlock device.
(2) The person’s driving privileges have been suspended, revoked, barred, canceled, denied, or disqualified in the prior three-year period.
(3) The person has been convicted of more than three moving violations in the prior three-year period.
(4) The person has been convicted of violating section 321.218, 321.277, or 321J.21, or section 321A.32, subsection 1, in the prior three-year period.
(5) The person has been convicted in the prior seven-year period of a felony, of violating section 321J.2 or 321J.2A, or of any crime involving resisting law enforcement, dishonesty, injury to another person, damage to the property of another person, or operating a vehicle in a manner that endangers another person.
(6) The person is registered on the national sex offender registry.
2. A local authority shall not enact, enforce, or maintain any ordinance, regulation, or rule that requires a corporation, partnership, sole proprietorship, or other entity that sells or offers for sale transportation by taxicabs having a seating capacity of less than seven passengers and not operating on a regular route or between specified points to maintain a physical place of business in the local authority’s jurisdiction as a condition of operating such taxicabs in the local authority’s jurisdiction.
2016 Acts, ch 1101, §4, 24
Referred to in §321.236, §325A.2, §331.362