The department shall not issue a driver’s license:
1. To any person who is under the age of eighteen years except as provided in section 321.180B. However, the department may issue a driver’s license to certain minors as provided in section 321.178 or 321.194, or a driver’s license restricted to motorized bicycles as provided in section 321.189.
2. To any person holding any other driver’s license.
3. To any person whose driver’s license or driving privilege is suspended or revoked.
4. To any person who is a chronic alcoholic, or is addicted to the use of an illegal narcotic drug.
5. To any person who has previously been adjudged to be incompetent by reason of mental illness and who has not at the time of application been restored to competency by the methods provided by law.
6. To any person who fails to pass an examination required by this chapter.
7. To any person when the director has good cause to believe the person by reason of physical or mental disability would not be able to operate a motor vehicle safely.
8. To any person to operate a commercial motor vehicle unless the person is eighteen years of age or older and the person qualifies under federal and state law to be issued a commercial driver’s license or commercial learner’s permit in this state.
9. To any person, as a chauffeur, who is under the age of eighteen.
[C31, 35, §4960-d5 – 4960-d9; C39, §5013.04; C46, 50, 54, 58, 62, 66, 71, 73, 75, 77, 79, 81, §321.177]
85 Acts, ch 195, §34; 90 Acts, ch 1230, §24; 95 Acts, ch 194, §5; 98 Acts, ch 1073, §9; 98 Acts, ch 1112, §1, 14, 16; 2003 Acts, ch 145, §286; 2006 Acts, ch 1030, §35; 2015 Acts, ch 123, §49
Referred to in §321.180A