1. a. All trailers except farm trailers, mobile homes, and manufactured homes, unless otherwise provided in this section, are subject to an annual registration fee as follows:
(1) For trailers with an empty weight of two thousand pounds or less, the annual registration fee is twenty dollars.
(2) For trailers with an empty weight in excess of two thousand pounds, the annual registration fee is thirty dollars.
b. Trailers for which the empty weight is two thousand pounds or less are exempt from the certificate of title and lien provisions of this chapter.
c. For trailers and semitrailers licensed under chapter 326, the annual registration fee for the permanent registration plate shall be the applicable fee under paragraph “a”. The registration fees for a permanent registration plate, at the option of the registrant, shall be remitted to the department at five-year intervals or on an annual basis. Fees collected under this section shall not be reduced or prorated under chapter 326.
2. a. Travel trailers and fifth-wheel travel trailers, except those in manufacturer’s or dealer’s stock, shall be subject to an annual registration fee of thirty cents per square foot of floor space computed on the exterior overall measurements, but excluding three feet occupied by any trailer hitch as provided by and certified to by the owner, to the nearest whole dollar. When a travel trailer or fifth-wheel travel trailer is registered in Iowa for the first time or when title is transferred, the annual registration fee shall be prorated on a monthly basis. The annual registration fee shall be reduced to seventy-five percent of the full fee after the vehicle is more than six model years old.
b. A travel trailer may be stored under section 321.134, provided the travel trailer is not used for human habitation for any period during storage and is not moved upon the highways of the state. A travel trailer stored under section 321.134 is not subject to a manufactured or mobile home tax assessed under chapter 435.
3. Motor trucks or truck tractors pulling trailers or semitrailers shall be registered for the combined gross weight of the motor truck or truck tractor and trailer or semitrailer, except that:
a. Motor trucks registered for six tons or less not used for hire, pulling trailers or semitrailers used by a person engaged in farming to transport commodities produced by the owner, or to transport commodities or livestock purchased by the owner for use in the owner’s own farming operation or used by any person to transport horses shall not be subject to registration for the gross weight of such trailer or semitrailer provided the combined gross weight does not exceed twelve tons, plus the tolerance provided for in section 321.466.
b. Motor trucks registered for six tons or less not used for hire, pulling trailers or semitrailers used by a person in the person’s own operations shall not be subject to registration for the gross weight of such trailer or semitrailer provided the combined gross weight does not exceed eight tons, plus the tolerance provided for in section 321.466.
[C24, 27, 31, 35, §4920; C39, §5008.19; C46, 50, 54, 58, 62, 66, 71, 73, 75, 77, 79, 81, §321.123; 82 Acts, ch 1251, §16 – 18]
82 Acts, ch 1062, §20, 38; 84 Acts, ch 1305, §63; 89 Acts, ch 296, §29; 95 Acts, ch 118, §18; 96 Acts, ch 1152, §5, 6; 99 Acts, ch 188, §14; 2000 Acts, ch 1016, §14; 2001 Acts, ch 153, §15, 17; 2001 Acts, ch 176, §80; 2006 Acts, ch 1070, §9, 31; 2008 Acts, ch 1113, §24, 25, 94, 95
Referred to in §312.2, §321.310, §331.557