1. a. The annual fee for all motor vehicles including vehicles designated by manufacturers as station wagons, 1993 and subsequent model year multipurpose vehicles, and 2010 and subsequent model year motor trucks with an unladen weight of ten thousand pounds or less, except motor trucks registered under section 321.122, business-trade trucks, special trucks, motor homes, motorsports recreational vehicles, ambulances, hearses, autocycles, motorcycles, motorized bicycles, and 1992 and older model year multipurpose vehicles, shall be equal to one percent of the value as fixed by the department plus forty cents for each one hundred pounds or fraction thereof of weight of vehicle, as fixed by the department. The weight of a motor vehicle, fixed by the department for registration purposes, shall include the weight of a battery, heater, bumpers, spare tire, and wheel. Provided, however, that for any new vehicle purchased in this state by a nonresident for removal to the nonresident’s state of residence the purchaser may make application to the county treasurer in the county of purchase for a transit plate for which a fee of ten dollars shall be paid. And provided, however, that for any used vehicle held by a registered dealer and not currently registered in this state, or for any vehicle held by an individual and currently registered in this state, when purchased in this state by a nonresident for removal to the nonresident’s state of residence, the purchaser may make application to the county treasurer in the county of purchase for a transit plate for which a fee of three dollars shall be paid. The county treasurer shall issue a nontransferable certificate of registration for which no refund shall be allowed; and the transit plates shall be void thirty days after issuance. Such purchaser may apply for a certificate of title by surrendering the manufacturer’s or importer’s certificate or certificate of title, duly assigned as provided in this chapter. In this event, the treasurer in the county of purchase shall, when satisfied with the genuineness and regularity of the application, and upon payment of a fee of twenty dollars, issue a certificate of title in the name and address of the nonresident purchaser delivering the title to the owner. If there is a security interest noted on the title, the county treasurer shall mail to the secured party an acknowledgment of the notation of the security interest. The county treasurer shall not release a security interest that has been noted on a title issued to a nonresident purchaser as provided in this paragraph. The application requirements of section 321.20 apply to a title issued as provided in this subsection, except that a natural person who applies for a certificate of title shall provide either the person’s social security number, passport number, or driver’s license number, whether the license was issued by this state, another state, or another country. The provisions of this subsection relating to multipurpose vehicles are effective for all 1993 and subsequent model years. The annual registration fee for multipurpose vehicles that are 1992 model years and older shall be in accordance with section 321.124.
b. The annual registration fee shall be sixty dollars for a vehicle with permanently installed equipment manufactured for and necessary to assist a person with a disability who is either the owner or lessee of the vehicle or a member of the owner’s or lessee’s household in entry and exit of the vehicle or if the owner or lessee of the vehicle or a member of the owner’s or lessee’s household uses a wheelchair as the only means of mobility. This paragraph applies only to vehicles that are otherwise subject to paragraph “a” and to motor trucks with an unladen weight of ten thousand pounds or less that are otherwise subject to section 321.122. For purposes of this paragraph, “uses a wheelchair” does not include use of a wheelchair due to a temporary injury or medical condition.
2. a. Dealers may, in addition to other provisions of this section, purchase from the department in-transit permits, for which a fee of two dollars per permit shall be paid at time of purchase. One such permit shall be displayed on each vehicle purchased from a dealer by a nonresident for removal to the state of the nonresident’s residence, and one such permit shall also be displayed on each vehicle not currently registered in Iowa and purchased by an Iowa dealer for removal to the dealer’s place of business in this state. The permits shall be void fifteen days after issuance by the selling dealer. Each permit shall contain the following information:
(1) The words “in-transit” in bold type.
(2) The dealer’s license number.
(3) The date issued.
(4) The purchaser’s name and address.
(5) The word “Iowa” in bold type.
(6) The words “good for fifteen days after the date of issuance”.
(7) Other information the director requires.
b. The sales invoice verifying the sale shall be in the possession of the driver of the vehicle in transit and shall be signed by the owner or an authorized individual of the issuing dealership.
c. Motor vehicles brought into the state on a transit sticker for the purpose of installation of special equipment may also be subject to the provisions of this subsection.
3. The owner of an unregistered motor vehicle or motor vehicle for which the registration is delinquent may make application to the county treasurer of the county of residence or, if the unregistered or delinquent motor vehicle is purchased by a nonresident of the state, to the county treasurer in the county of purchase, for a temporary thirty-day permit for a fee of twenty-five dollars. The permit shall authorize the motor vehicle to be driven or towed upon the highway, but shall not authorize a motor truck or truck tractor to haul or tow a load. The permit fee shall not be considered a registration fee or exempt the owner from payment of all other fees, registration fees, and penalties due. If the annual registration fee for the motor vehicle is delinquent, the annual registration fee and penalty shall continue to accrue until paid. The permit fee shall not be prorated, refunded, or used as credit as provided under section 321.46. The permit shall be displayed in the upper left-hand corner of the rear window of all motor vehicles, except motorcycles. Permits issued for a motorcycle shall be attached to the rear of the motorcycle.
[C24, 27, 31, 35, §4908; C39, §5008.05; C46, 50, 54, 58, 62, 66, 71, 73, 75, 77, 79, 81, §321.109]
84 Acts, ch 1305, §60; 88 Acts, ch 1007, §1; 92 Acts, ch 1019, §1, 8; 92 Acts, ch 1222, §1; 92 Acts, ch 1232, §401, 412; 93 Acts, ch 165, §1; 96 Acts, ch 1129, §113; 96 Acts, ch 1152, §4; 2004 Acts, ch 1013, §20, 35; 2005 Acts, ch 8, §12, 13; 2006 Acts, ch 1068, §16, 41; 2008 Acts, ch 1042, §1; 2008 Acts, ch 1113, §3, 11, 20, 21, 88; 2010 Acts, ch 1035, §2; 2010 Acts, ch 1061, §180; 2014 Acts, ch 1127, §6; 2016 Acts, ch 1098, §15
Referred to in §312.2, §321.17, §321.34, §321.105A, §321.110, §321.113, §321.115A, §321.122, §321.124, §331.557