It is a simple misdemeanor punishable as a scheduled violation under section 805.8A, subsection 2, for any person to commit any of the following acts:
1. To operate any motor vehicle upon the highways upon which the certificate of title has been canceled, or while a certificate of registration of a motor vehicle is suspended or revoked.
2. For a dealer or a person acting on behalf of a dealer to acquire, purchase, hold or display for sale a motor vehicle without having obtained a manufacturer’s or importer’s certificate or a certificate of title, or assignments thereof, unless otherwise provided in this chapter.
3. To fail to surrender a certificate of title, registration card, or registration plates upon cancellation, suspension, or revocation of the certificate or registration by the department and notice as prescribed in this chapter.
4. To sell, offer for sale, or transfer a motor vehicle, trailer, or semitrailer, except as provided in section 321.47 or 321.48, section 321.52, subsection 2, paragraph “b”, or section 321.52, subsection 4, paragraph “a”, without obtaining a certificate of title in the name of the seller or transferor or without delivering to the purchaser or transferee a certificate of title or a manufacturer’s or importer’s certificate duly assigned to the purchaser or transferee as provided in this chapter.
5. To violate any of the other provisions of this chapter or any lawful rules adopted pursuant to this chapter.
6. For a manufactured or mobile home retailer to sell or transfer a mobile home or manufactured home without delivering to the purchaser or transferee a certificate of title or a manufacturer’s or importer’s certificate properly assigned to the purchaser, or to transfer a mobile home or manufactured home without disclosing to the purchaser the owner of the mobile home or manufactured home in a manner prescribed by the department pursuant to rules, or to fail to apply for and obtain a certificate of title for a used mobile home or manufactured home, titled in Iowa, acquired by the manufactured or mobile home retailer within thirty days from the date of acquisition as required under section 321.45, subsection 4.
[S13, §1571-m24; C24, 27, 31, 35, §5086; C39, §5007.08; C46, 50, 54, 58, 62, 66, 71, 73, 75, 77, 79, 81, §321.104; 82 Acts, ch 1251, §15]
85 Acts, ch 195, §33; 86 Acts, ch 1237, §20; 87 Acts, ch 130, §5; 97 Acts, ch 108, §9; 99 Acts, ch 188, §13; 2000 Acts, ch 1154, §23; 2000 Acts, ch 1203, §5; 2001 Acts, ch 137, §5; 2001 Acts, ch 153, §17; 2002 Acts, ch 1119, §49; 2010 Acts, ch 1190, §36; 2015 Acts, ch 52, §6, 14; 2017 Acts, ch 31, §4
Referred to in §321.48, §805.8A(2)(s)
Subsection 4 amended