(a) As used in this section:
(1) "Ammunition" means any cartridge, shell, or projectile designed for use in a firearm;
(2) "False information" means information that portrays an unlawful transaction as lawful or a lawful transaction as unlawful;
(3) "Licensed dealer" means a person who is licensed under 18 U.S.C. § 923, as it existed on January 1, 2013, to engage in the business of dealing in firearms; and
(4) "Private seller" means a person other than a licensed dealer who sells or offers for sale a firearm or ammunition.
(b) A person commits the offense of unlawful procurement of a firearm or ammunition if he or she knowingly:
(1) Solicits, persuades, encourages, or entices a licensed dealer or private seller to transfer a firearm or ammunition under unlawful circumstances; or
(2) Provides false information to a licensed dealer or private seller with a purpose to deceive the licensed dealer or private seller concerning the lawfulness of a transfer of a firearm or ammunition.
(c) It is a defense to prosecution under this section if the person is:
(1) A law enforcement officer acting in his or her official capacity; or
(2) Acting at the direction of a law enforcement officer.
(d) Unlawful procurement of a firearm or ammunition is a Class D felony.