(1) The executive head of the Arkansas Department of Environmental Quality shall be the Director of the Arkansas Department of Environmental Quality, who shall be appointed by the Governor with the advice and consent of the Senate, and shall serve at the pleasure of the Governor.
(2) The director, with the advice and consent of the Governor, shall appoint the heads of the divisions of the department, including the Division of Water Pollution Control, the Division of Air Pollution Control, the Division of Solid Waste Management, the Division of Environmental Preservation, the Division of Administration, and such other divisions as may be established.
(3) All of the personnel of the department shall be employed by and serve at the pleasure of the director. However, nothing in this subdivision (a)(3) shall be construed to reduce any right which an employee shall have under any civil service or merit system.
(1) The director shall be the executive officer and active administrator of all pollution control activities.
(2) All of the powers of the Arkansas Pollution Control and Ecology Commission under §§ 8-4-201(b)(5), 8-4-203, and 8-4-204 relating to plans and specifications for disposal systems and permits for the discharge of sewage, industrial wastes, or other wastes into the waters of the state are vested in the director.
Acts 1949, No. 472 [Part 1], § 2; 1963, No. 503, § 1; 1973, No. 262, § 2; A.S.A. 1947, § 82-1903; Acts 1991, No. 744, § 2; 1999, No. 1164, § 16.