(a) The Academic Facilities Oversight Committee shall:
(1) Oversee development and implementation of state statutory requirements with regard to providing constitutionally appropriate public school academic facilities and related equipment for all public schools in the State of Arkansas as necessary to provide an equal opportunity for an adequate education for all public school students in Arkansas;
(3) Review and recommend policies and criteria for the repair, maintenance, renovation, remodeling, replacement, and construction of public school academic facilities;
(4) Oversee local and state expenditures related to providing constitutionally appropriate public school academic facilities and related equipment;
(5) Review the effectiveness of methods used to fund the cost of constitutionally appropriate public school academic facilities and equipment;
(6) Review the ongoing assessment, evaluation, and inspection of public school academic facilities to provide that constitutionally appropriate public school academic facilities are, and will continue to be, provided for public school students in Arkansas; and
(7) Use the opinions of the Supreme Court in the matter of Lake View School District No. 25 v. Huckabee, 351 Ark. 31, 91 S.W.3d 472 (2002) and other legal precedent relevant to public school academic facilities.
(b) (1) (A) The Academic Facilities Oversight Committee shall report its findings and recommendations to the President Pro Tempore of the Senate, the Speaker of the House of Representatives, the Governor, the House Committee on Education, and the Senate Committee on Education no later than October 1 before each regular session of the General Assembly.
(B) Upon motion of the Academic Facilities Oversight Committee and approval by a quorum of the committee, the October 1 report deadline may be extended for a period to be determined by the Academic Facilities Oversight Committee.
(2) The report shall include for each recommendation, proposed implementation schedules with timelines, specific steps, agencies and persons responsible, and resources needed.
(3) When feasible, the Academic Facilities Oversight Committee shall propose plans, measures, and initiatives as recommendations for legislation or regulation.
Acts 2005, No. 1424, § 1; 2017, No. 801, § 4.