Centralized data collection and display regarding appointees to certain state entities.
(a) As used in this section, the following words have the following meanings:
(1) BOARD. A state board, commission, committee, task force, or similar multi-member entity created by executive order of the Governor or by law and having statewide or regional jurisdiction or application.
(2) VACANCY. A vacancy in an existing board, or a new, unfilled board position.
(b)(1) By December 4, 2006, the chair of an existing board or the appointing authority for the members of a newly created board shall provide the Secretary of State, in an electronic format prepared and distributed by the Secretary of State, the following data pertaining to the board:
a. The name of the board, its mailing address, telephone number, and e-mail address.
b. The name of each appointee to the board.
c. The date of appointment, term of appointment, and expiration date of the term of appointment of each appointee.
d. The name and position of the appointing authority of each appointee.
(2) The Alabama Law Institute shall review the expiration dates for statutory authority and compliance and report discrepancies to the chair or appointing authority.
(c)(1) The Secretary of State shall provide for annual updating of the required data and shall annually arrange for the publication on the website of the Secretary of State of the compiled data from each board by January 4 of each year.
(2) Paper copies of the compilation shall, upon request, be made available by the Secretary of State to any interested person at cost and copies shall be available in the office of the Secretary of State for viewing by interested persons during regular business hours.
(d)(1) The chair of an existing board shall notify the Secretary of State by electronic means of a vacancy scheduled to occur on the board as a result of the expiration of a term at least 45 days before the vacancy occurs.
(2) The chair of an existing board shall give electronic notification to the Secretary of State of each vacancy occurring as a result of a newly created board position and of every other vacancy occurring for any reason other than the expiration of a term as soon as possible and in any case within 15 days after the occurrence of the vacancy.
(3) The appointing authority for a newly created board shall give electronic notification to the Secretary of State of all vacancies on the new board within 15 days after the creation of the board.
(4) The Secretary of State shall publish weekly on the website of the Secretary of State a list of all vacancies of which the Secretary of State has been notified. A copy of the listing shall be made available upon request at the office of the Secretary of State to any interested person during regular business hours.
(e) The Secretary of State may adopt necessary rules to implement and administer this section.
(Act 2006-630, p. 1723, §§1-5.)