(1) Upon completion of the paving or repaving of any alley or driveway or the construction or reconstruction of any retaining wall pursuant to an order to abate a nuisance, the surveyor of the district in which the work is located shall compute the cost thereof in accordance with the provisions of the contract.
(2) The surveyor shall assess the cost against the properties abutting on, having the use of, or actually using the alley, driveway, or retaining wall, in the names of the registered owners, provided that such assessments shall not exceed fifty dollars ($50) per assessable linear foot for each alley or driveway that is paved or repaved and for each retaining wall that is constructed or reconstructed, and the bills shall be returned in duplicate to the Department of Streets.
(3) The bills may be endorsed by the Department of Streets in favor of the contractor and delivered to the contractor in lieu of cash, if the contract so provides.
(4) One copy of each bill shall be served upon the registered owner of the property, or if the owner cannot be found it shall be left upon the premises.
(5) If the bill is not paid within 30 days from its service upon the owner of the property, a lien for the amount of the bill together with a penalty of 6% may be filed in the proper court against the property and the owner.