(1) A school zone shall include a distance of three hundred feet (300') on either side of a school building or school grounds and shall be posted with appropriate signs showing: "SCHOOL -- 25 M.P.H. WHEN CHILDREN ARE PRESENT".
(2) At an appropriate distance before reaching this sign, a school advance sign shall be erected.
(3) A third sign at the end of the school zone shall designate the speed limit the motor vehicle may resume.
(b) (1) (A) It shall be the duty of the Arkansas Department of Transportation, county road department, city street department, or any other agency having the responsibility of maintaining the streets or roadways to erect the signs required by subsection (a) of this section unless a special traffic engineering study for a specific school zone produces other recommendations for that school zone.
(B) The maximum speed limit shall not be increased above the limitation provided in subsection (a) of this section.
(2) Signs shall be maintained and replaced using the same criteria that is used to maintain and replace "STOP" signs and other warning signs.
(3) All signs and signing locations will be in accordance with the regulations contained in the current Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices.
Acts 1977, No. 229, § 2; A.S.A. 1947, § 75-601.6; Acts 2017, No. 707, § 349.